At least a few times a week, I order food to the house. I realize that I take delivery for granted. There are plenty of places in the world where eaters do not have the convenience of ordering takeout. Here are my top 5 reasons why I order food online so often.
1. Convenience – This is the first thought that popped into my head when I tried to analyze why I frequently order in. I work hard, and although I consider myself a really good amateur cook, I simply do not have the energy to prepare a meal for my wife and two children. Granted, my wife tries to cook but she just does not cook well (don’t tell her I told you that).
2. Expense – There are so many expenses associated with dining out, that makes ordering food delivery so much more cost effective. With the rising cost of gas prices all over the world, saving money by not driving is significant. Additional things to consider when eating out which affect the wallet are time, parking fees and exorbitant prices on alcohol.
3. Bad Weather – Whether you live in windy Wellington or rainy Auckland, weather conditions can be quite nasty and you just don’t want to leave the house. The opposite is also true when one lives in a very hot and humid climate. The comfort of air conditioning can be a joy especially for older adults and those with health problems. Ordering food helps shelter one from extreme weather which can be annoying if not hazardous.
4. Time – I find that ordering food delivery online allows me to boost my time management both at work and at home. Most people have a certain allotted amount of time for their lunch hour at work. Personally, I as well as others, cherish that break which helps them relax and enjoy their food before they resume their work day. Ordering food online allows valuable minutes to be saved by ordering ahead of time for pick-up or delivery which is simply terrific. In terms of family, ordering food allows me to spend more quality time with my wife and kids because I don’t have to devote an hour or more to cooking a complete meal. In a world where most of us are so busy, one needs to take advantage of whatever tools available to them that help manage time, such as food delivery.
5. Ritual – Many of us have great memories of ordering our favorite Chinese meal and watching a rugby game on the television. There is a sense of warmth and comfort in this. Ordering Chinese food is a ritual in my family and I remember my mom ordering Chinese food for me and my brother while we watched our favorite cartoons. Those were very nostalgic memories for me. One of my favorite spots to order Chinese food from, which rekindles some of those memories is, Loong Fong in Wellington. Their fried rice reminds me exactly of the fried rice I enjoyed as a child.
I love going out to eat as much as the next person, but there are many reasons I order food delivery to my home, and I am thankful to have that wonderful option.